Yields: 2 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 7 Mins Total Time: 22 Mins
Season of Love Mussels in Wine and Garlic Broth.
When deciding on serving mussels, here are a few tips.
- Buy from a reputable fishmonger.
- They are ‘live’ when you buy them.
- When you get home, remove the packaging /net
- If any of them are open, just tap them & they close straight away.
- Discard any cracked shells.
- Put into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
Preparation of the Mussels
- Place them in a colander or sieve and take them to the sink.
- Take a brush & remove any barnacles or sandy bits. Pull any beardy bits down and out.
- Give each a clean under the tap. You are not soaking them in water. Cooking the Mussels
- Mussels need a very large pan with lots of room for the sshells to open.
- Add the butter, garlic and shallots and cook until they are nicely softened.
- Add the stock. I like using the Knorr Stock Pot, The chicken gives a delicious brothy taste.
- Add the wine
- Slide in the mussels and gently stir the mussels around.
- Covre the pot with a lid and cook for at least 3 minutes before opeing to check on them. They may need another minuute.
- ***IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT AT THIS STAGE TO CHECK THE SHELL HAS OPENED - DISCARD ANY THAT HAVE NOT OPENED***
- Add the finely chopped parsley.
- Add the créme fraiche, and the black pepper.
- Give a final stir and serve!